Walking Classroom....in ACTION!

As many of you know, I have been lucky enough to have a truly fabulous program called The Walking Classroom in use with my students.  If you have read my previous posts about it (you can read them here, here, and here) you KNOW how much my students and I love being able to put those headphones on and head outside to learn.

Well, because of this really cool program, something really cool happened to us at the end of April that I wanted to share with you.  We in Room 6 got our 15 minutes of fame!  We became TV stars for the day.  :)

In a nutshell, Laura Fenn, the creator of The Walking Classroom, met the director of a show about the benefits of walking and exercise that is produced by a local PBS affiliate in my area.  She referred him to me, we set up the filming schedule, and 7 people armed with cameras and equipment descended upon Room 6.

It was such a great experience for my students and I.  Having a camera follow you is such a trip!  I felt like a Kardashian!  ;)  Seriously, though, it was an incredible experience.

A little "behind the scenes" shot!

And now, 5 months later, it is on TV!  The piece is so well done, my kids are amazing (of course!) and the program really gets to shine through.  Here is the link to the awesome show.  We are the first story, so you don't even need to fast forward.


Just excuse my classroom.  It was mid-process while we transformed it into a colony....so it isn't the best looking thing ;)

In case you can't see the embedded link, here is the direct link to the site.

So what do you think?  Incredible isn't it?  The Walking Classroom really is such a fabulous tool to have at your disposal.  Here is a link to apply for a donated set for your 4th or 5th grade class.   Does anyone else have this in their room?  Thoughts?

13 comments

  1. Yes! I had a 5th grade set and moved to 4th grade this year. I knew when I moved The Walking Classroom was what I would miss the most. I contacted Laura and she was so great! I now have a 4th grade set, and the walks and lessons are just as great as the 5th grade ones I loved so much. The kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have applied for a set, but I'm not in a school that automatically gets one (guess it's too well off). Totally stinks being on a wait list with no end in sight. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully soon. So sorry there aren't more funds available :(

      Delete
    2. Keep your chin up! I had actually given up on ever getting this great program and honestly forgotten about it, when out the blue, I received an email (two years later!) saying that I was going to be receiving it during the summer. Good Luck!

      Delete
  3. This is fantastic! I am going to share this with my 5th grade team and see if we can get PTA support or maybe grant funding. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I love the program...and so do my kids. They ask daily if we are going to do it!

      Delete
  4. This is my first year using them on a regular basis since I didn't have a great way to incorporate them last year. The kids look forward to our walks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have them too! I am teaching 4th grade (and did last year also) but have the 5th grade set. I don't care, we still love to walk and learn with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a set too! The kids love The Walking Classroom. Laura was out in the Bay area last week and came for a walk with us. Getting to meet her was a fabulous experience for my students. Rumor has it that there aren't any WalkKits in Connecticut. If you're from CT, you ought to apply!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I remember reading about this on your blog before--seeing in action was so awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing this Stephanie, I am going to look more into this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool! I have a set that I use with my 2 language arts classes and I LOVE it. The kids really love it too/ We integrate math too by measuring our distance walked. A lot of students and teachers comment about our activity and several teachers are trying to get their own sets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I originally signed up for the program by following one of your links two years ago - best thing I ever did!! This is my first year using it and the kiddos LOVE IT! Thanks so much for helping share this great program on your blog for the rest of us. Congrats on your fun video! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what you think about what is posted :)