Calendar Math: The First Week in PICTURES!

Like myself, many of you learn best when you actually see it (which is why, I suspect, you follow blogs ;) ) So I thought I would show you the very first week of our Calendar Math pages in pictures.  I wrote about the process of how I set up the first week of Calendar here, but I think that actually SHOWING you may be a bit more effective :)  If you aren't sure what Calendar Math is, read this first.  Then come back :)

So here we go.

The first day of school I had pre-printed the entire sheet, with only a few boxes left open for the students to complete.  You can see that these are fairly *easy* things for the kids to do.  They should have some background knowledge in them.  This first day is simply to lay the foundation of working independently and trying your hardest to complete the task.









On Day 2, I crossed out a few less items.  These were things that I had showed them how to do when reviewing on Day 1.  I really didn't expect mastery, just their willingness to try.  We then went over it as a class.  I expected them to copy the answers I was giving, so that they would have an idea of what the completed form should look like.

Day 3 had even less items crossed off.   Again, I did not expect mastery...just willingness to work.  I gave the students about 15 minutes to complete this on their own before we went over it.









On our final day of the week, the kids were given the complete Calendar sheet, with nothing crossed off.  This day, I gave them the most time to work independently (about 20 mins!) as I walked around.  Again, I was looking for more of a work stamina thing rather than mastery of the skills.  When we went over it, I had them copy the answers they were missing.

I then had them hold on to this completed packet for an example for the next week.

From these pictures though, you should see that there really isn't any harm in just "diving in" to the Calendar.  I know that sometimes we like to take things slow, but really, with Calendar, I find it best to go full force.  Since there is SO much repetition, the kids WILL eventually get it.  They will learn and they will soar.  So don't be afraid to just go for it.

How do you introduce Calendar to your students?

And, if you would like the 4th or 5th grade Starter Kits (with explanations, and the pre-printed sheets you see above, you can click here for 4th and here for 5th :) )   However, you can also use the free non-editable single sheets on my blog that can be found here.

16 comments

  1. How are you Dear?? I like your calendar picture. I think to do as same.

    Regards,
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already told you this last week but I will say it again! I am thrilled with my starter kit I purchased from you and I'm all set up to start Calendar Math from the first day we go back...thanks Steph!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like Kristen, when you weren't looking, I snapped up the starter kit for calendar math, too. ;) SO excited to start it with my students! I like how you eased them into it - perfect!

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo! We're all together on this one! I am going to do this just like you said. Love your positive attitude: If you believe, they will succeed! Thanks for getting us ready...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks my ladies :) And it is true Kim....if you believe in Calendar, they will soar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love--seriously. We started this week and I'm amazed at how quickly the kids have caught on. I wanted to start last year, but it was mid-year when I discovered it and too much was going on to layer it in at that time. After some planning this summer, we're up and running. Thank you 1,000 times over.
    The Wild Rumpus

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great that you are teaching their students to consider, but I have not noticed any problems on analytical thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephanie. Do you have this on for first grade by any chance? Or know where I can get it, before I try to create it myself :)
    Thanks!
    Michelle Berenson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stephanie, I have a question, I am currently doing Grade 5/6 split using the Singapore syllabus (40 min. Math blocks per day). Do you find that you run out of time to cover the regular math lessons when you do Calendar math?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't run out of time (I actually only do a 20 min lesson each day with Math Workshop) but I also have an 80 minute math block. So I have more time than you do.

      Delete
  10. Hi, I discovered your calendar math and I think it is a great idea! One question I have is when you choose the number of the day I assume you are using the day of the month, so how does it work when a new month begins? This probably sounds like a crazy question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions.

      Delete
    2. When a new month begins, I just use those numbers again (and with the way weeks work out, the kids aren't using the same numbers over and over too much) Since the big number is always changing, by adding decimals and stuff, and the fractions and addition and multiplication etc....can be made using different combinations of the numbers, I don't find that kids "memorize" what to do with the 16, for example, because all of the stuff I am asking them to do is different each time they do it. (I hope that makes sense!)

      Delete
  11. Hi, I teach 3rd grade. I purchased the Spiral Math Homework and can't wait to use it. This will be my first year. I could not locate the Calendar Math 3rd grade. If you have it I would love to use it. I love you site. I useit often. Thanks for the many tips and tools to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the editable sheets for third grade. (I don't have the full starter kit for 3rd like I do 4th and 5th as of right now) The sheets can be found here. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Calendar-Math-for-Upper-Grades-3rd-Grade-Editable-Version-276701

      Delete
  12. Where do you get today's M & M?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what you think about what is posted :)