Some DIY "changes" in my room

Long time no blog, eh?  I just feel so uninspired as of late.  Nothing fabulous seems to be happening in my room, other than the usual stuff....so nothing really interesting to blog about.  But I did make two "changes" in my room semi-lately that I haven't written about on my blog, so I thought I would share.  Both are crafty, and both were something that I shared how to create (step by step) on Classroom DIY, but never here.  So here we go.

bulletin boards, teachinginroom6.blogspot.comNew borders!

I have begun the process of changing the borders in my room.  I am just so tired of the yellow/gray/white combo.  Since we are entering into the Colonial/Revolutionary era, it is time for a change.  Last year, I did the same basic tissue puff stuff.  But for this go around, I thought I would change it up just slightly.  I decided to braid the tissue.  And so far...I am liking it!  It is put up the same way as the puff, but instead of 3 separate pieces, it is all braided together!  I have only done one board (I am going slowly) but so far, so good.  (sorry, this is a picture from a sample, not my actual board...forgot to take one yesterday.  The real thing looks WAY WAY better!  Like, seriously, I am almost embarrassed about that picture!  ;) ) Click here for full directions on how to make them.


New background!

teaching in room 6, blog, 5th grade blog, 4th grade blog, classroom diy, art project, paragraph of the weekI used to have my students Paragraph's of the Week on display on my cupboards.  They were just stapled up and each week, I would staple a new one on top.  the only problem was that 1) I am running out of staple gun staples and 2) there are just too many staples going into the wall!  So I thought I would change it up and use those Prong Paper Fasteners that they have in doctor's office folders.  The kids made this gorgeous background (which is on a 14" x 11" piece of construction paper), and I punched holes for the prongs.  Now, when I want to add their latest piece of writing, I open the prong and put it on!  No muss, no fuss...and no staples!   Click here for full directions on how to have the students create this fun and really pretty art project.

Ok...that is it.  Short and sweet.  :)  I do have some things on board to share with you...once they are finished.  But my students really seem to be taking a L.O.N.G. time to do anything these days.  I think senioritis may be setting in a bit early ;)

14 comments

  1. Do you have a link to your grading method here? I love the neat and concise-looking markings at the bottom of the writing assignment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the blog post I did about the stamp, Kim. I focus mostly on the stickers and sticky note that I use in the post, but I mention the stamp. You can also see a picture of it up close. I have since run out of stickers (and just don't feel like ordering more right now), so I am using the stamp like crazy.

      http://teachinginroom6.blogspot.com/2012/03/grades-and-feedback.html

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh, I am so with you Steph! Uninspired, not blogging, I feel terrible!! Except you are inspired, look at all the pretty things you've made! I love the idea of using the paper fasteners...they look so nice :) I am pinning this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with ya too:/ AND I need to get inspired for Monday Made It.....I have hit spring break and just in time.....feeling burnt out.....that usually doesn't happen to me....Love both the things you and your kiddos made:) Have a great weekend! Inspiration will come back......take some time for you:) That's my plan this spring break:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog! Just found it as I was blog hopping! I had a teacher website for years, The Teacher's Desk, and closed it down last year... long story! I just started The Teacher's Desk 6 blog a few weeks ago so I'm very interested in similar blogs. GREAT ideas here!!!!! I especially like your Paragraph of the Week. I had a Paragraph a Week posted at my original website from 1998-2012 and have recently begun updating it.

    I grabbed your button and posted it on my blog. I invite you to visit The Teacher's Desk 6 and see what you think.

    Happy Teaching,
    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6
    http://teachersdesk6.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmagoodness, I think I actually ordered a stamp like that over the summer on my Vistaprint-madness streak and totally forgot about it until I saw yours!! Lol, thanks for the reminder!! I am LOVING your paragraph display and DEFINITELY need to get those off the ground next year... See?! You are always inspiring ;)

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how many things I randomly find months later that were part of a Vista Print madness streak! :)

      Delete
  7. LOVE the braided borders - you definitely have more patience than me! I think I'm going to have to go to the paper fasteners SOON. We've been using thumbtacks, but the stack of fabulous work is becoming pretty thick and the board behind it looks like a minefield. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in person, the borders look MUCH better. I promise ;)

      Delete
  8. I love that you add your student's new papers on top of their old ones. I bet they love looking at their progress on their paragraphs! I get a little staple happy myself and our board tends to look like a minefield as well! HA!

    I too feel SUPER uninspired lately. It must be looming conference week and Spring Break! OY!!

    Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also am feeling the burn out, Stephanie. I look back at last year and I am pretty sure the same thing happened around this time. It's a "spring fever" that is inevitable, I'm afraid. That's OK, it sounds like we are all in this boat together. I am loving your fasterner idea! We have used those fasteners in the past to make small "notebooks" for wordwork with file folders, but I've never thought to use them for display. So smart:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it is burn out so much as just overall..same old same old. You know? It just seems like I am doing the same things I did last year, so there is nothing new to write about. Then, I feel neglectful of the blog. Eh. Maybe that is just a cue to me to change up my instruction ;) hee hee

      Delete
  10. I haven't blogged since January and I had 843 unreads in my Google Reader.... I feel the same as you! Nothing exciting has been going on in my room. I have really been focusing on getting through my curricula and haven't done a ton of interesting stuff. :(

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what you think about what is posted :)