Goodbye {waves}

No, I am not leaving.....but our office clerk is and my class signed up to create the Farewell banner for her retirement luncheon.   The spur of the moment activity we did for it came out really cute, so I thought I would share!

First, I had the students draw a picture of their hand very close up.  They actually just traced their own hand.  Then they drew themselves behind the hand as if we were looking at the hand really close up and they were behind it.   I did discuss perspective at this point (I can't let a lesson go by without *some* standards in there ;) ).






Then, after the students colored the picture, I asked them to write a paragraph (with topic sentence, supporting details, and concluding sentence....again, gotta get *some* standards in ;) )  about our office clerk, all she did for the school, and how she personally connected with each child.  We did a little peer editing/revision, and then the kids wrote their final drafts on a speech bubble.





I had them then trace their drawn hand on a separate piece of paper, cut it out, and attach it with a brad so that it actually waved.  Here are a few of them to see.  Can  you see the brad?  The hand on top moves back and forth....so cute!

Then I thought about how this could apply during the year (and not just for retirement banners).  It would be a great beginning of the year introduction to writing in class, as well as having the kids introduce themselves!  A perfect little first week project...that would make a great bulletin board too.

21 comments

  1. STEPH ... this is FABULOUS!!! And you're right - it would be equally wonderful as an end of the year or beginning of the year activity! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for different back to school ideas... I LOVE this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. OBrien :) I love to find new back to school ideas too....this one just popped up!

      Delete
  3. This is a perfect activity for end of the year, back to school (or really any time).

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat idea! The school I'm moving to has an art teacher, so if I ever want to do something "artsy" I'm going to have to be sneaky. Stuff like this will do the trick! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is ADORABLE!!!
    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class
    PS I'm having a linky and would love for you to join!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, cute Stephanie!!! And, I agree that some of the most amazing ideas come out of the clear blue!

    Ann Marie Smith @ Innovative Connections

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is ADORABLE! Now I really hope that I have an intern or a student teacher next year-they would be a perfect parting gift!

    Laura
    Will Grade For Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just pinned it to my writing board...Thanks - love the idea
    Pat

    A Time to Share & Create


    MY WEBSITE

    Fabulous 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to give you a big HAND for this clever and inspiring idea!

    Brava!
    Mary Beth

    Marybeth@learningwithpuppets.com
    www.learningwithpuppets.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How versatile is this?! You can wave hello or good-bye or a welcome back after a long break (we have a 6 week winter break). Thanks!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this and have already emailed it to myself for back to school in August!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie-

    This was absolutely one of the cutest projects I have seen in a long time! You are so creative. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so fantastic. I await, in total anticipation, every single post you write! Thank GOODNESS you share your ideas as you have given me so many great ones!

    Thank you for all the hard work and dedication you are putting into the education and futures of your students. They are so lucky to have you as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! What a great way to get to know students at the beginning of the year and a nice assessment to see where they are not only in the standards but level of effort put into the work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable!! Thank for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ♥ this. It is so very clever. I intend to use it for a back-to-school writing piece with my fifth grade student. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a cute idea. I am going to use it with my students in fourth grade. I think they will love introducing themselves this way. Plus it will look great on a bulletin board. Bonus!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what you think about what is posted :)