Classroom Economy: The Jobs

Since I first started teaching, I have always had classroom jobs.  I really feel like the classroom needs to be "run" by the students (well, as self-sufficiently as possible) and classroom jobs are a HUGE part of this.

When thinking of jobs, I decided that I wanted the students to be responsible for a majority of the tasks in class that didn't involve actual imparting of knowledge (that would, of course, be my job ;) )  I also wanted them to do things that I would forget to do (I am a notorious "tell it to me and I forget the second I turn around" person...my students have been on more than one sunglasses hunt in my teaching career ;) )  So here is the list of jobs that I have in my room. (click on it for an upclose version you can print out)
teachinginroom6.blogspot.com,  teaching in room 6,   mrs. moorman

How do I actually assign jobs, you ask?  Well, each month, my students fill in a job application.  At the beginning of the year, I gave them a postcard I made on  _______ (who wants to fill in the blank???  ;)  hee hee)  with a Communication Guide for the students to use to compose the application.  The students then have to choose three jobs that they think they would be good at, with reasons why.  They keep these postcards in their desk all year, so I don't have to really think about it much after the first month.  When I say, "Fill out a job application for next month", they just take this postcard out, with a piece of paper, and begin writing.


Once the applications are in, I go through them and choose the people who I think would work best at each post.  To be honest with you, I skim them.  (I know, bad teacher)  I just don't have time to go through all of them in great detail.  BUT I do make note of the reasons why the students want a certain job.  I then pile them up into the first choice requests, and start making assignments from there.  It doesn't always work out that they get their first choice, but I have never had a student unhappy because he got his second or third (or unrequested) choice.

Then, throughout that month, the students do the duties of the job they have been working for.  I DO NOT have enough jobs in my classroom for everyone.  However, those that don't get jobs are "Substitutes".  They get paid $1 for each job that they fill in for (if a child is absent or otherwise can not do their job).   At times, being a substitute can be a lucrative job!

And since this is tied into my Classroom Economy, each job gets paid a certain amount per week.  If the student has done all that the need to, and there have been no issues with job performance, they get their full salary.  If I have had issues with how the job was performed that week, I make a case by case sliding scale of payment.

So that is it.  I know there was a lot here, but really it isn't all that complicated.  Choose jobs that work for you and your classroom, and the economy will fall into place from there.  What jobs do you have?  Let's see if we can make a list so that others will have a great deal of ideas to choose from!

16 comments

  1. Great, many thanks !

    Just in case you'd be looking for pictures to illustrated those jobs, there are some great new ones there (for free) : http://www.mysticlolly-leblog.fr/responsabilites-et-metiers-de-la-classe-c18053196

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pictures are adorable. Thanks for sharing the link!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness...what a great idea! Totally pinning.

    Also-just wanted to let you know that I've been studying up on your Calendar Math for me to implement next year. Thanks for sharing everything you have already shared (especially the video).

    Love it!

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did something like this two years ago. Some of the kids were super-dilligent about doing their jobs (especially since my Gardener was one of those kids-I'm terrible at keeping plants alive!), but I wasn't too on top of paying them! Maybe I'll try it again next year...

    Laura
    Will Grade For Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8th graders tend to be restless, so I get them to pass out graded papers, take up/pass out class materials, play the "teacher" on activ board, click the mouse for me when I'm going through a power point, etc. If it saves me time and burns some of their energy, the job is theirs!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. they get real money? is that allowed? just curious :) and why does a librarian get 2 bucks :( but fantastic idea! good way to teach about the real world ..props to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they do not get real money. It is play money from Lakeshore. The students get paid based on the job description. Because the librarian really doesn't perform that many duties, the wages are lower.

      Delete
  6. I like your list of classroom jobs. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love how organized your classroom is! I can't wait for my 1st year teaching Intermediate to start! I'm curious what program you used to make your Payroll chart. I'd love to do something similar but a little more personalized for my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the font you used in your classroom jobs list. What is the name of the font you used? I can't find it on kevinandamanda fonts. Please let me know I really really appreciate it

    Thanks
    A new 5th Grade teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am doing this system this year! Could you explain your sliding scale of payment and how students get fined? Also, could you explain what the Justice does?

    Your blog is SO helpful to me! Thanks for sharing all your amazing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I use tickets, but those tickets could easily be "money." Can you tell us what they can spend money on, other than fines and rent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also like to know what kids spend money on. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I love the information you shared regarding the way you structure your class economy. However, like the comment above mine I was wondering on what besides fines and rent do the kids spend their money. Do you have a class store or are the kids satisfied with earning money just to exist comfortably in class.
    Kitta

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello I was just wondering about the Banker Job. How do you have them collect fines. Do you have the student write the fines down and then collect them at the end of the day or during paycheck time? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what you think about what is posted :)