Daily Schedule Cards

If you are anything like me, your daily schedule is anything but regular. Between library, computer lab, science, psychomotor, the occasional assembly -- it never seems like I have a set time for anything.

Every year, I begin with a schedule that looks like this.


I have these high hopes that I will be able to stick to it and there will be no changes. Yeah...I know...I am laughing out loud too.

So I decided that I would make a change. Now, I am sure that I saw this idea eons ago somewhere, but I have now taken it on as my own and thought I would share, just in case *someone* out there hasn't thought of it. I took all the main subjects that I teach and created placards with them. I then attached a magnet to each placard. Since my whiteboard is magnetic, I can post these in the front of the room, write the specific times I am going to teach each subject, and now account for all of the specials.




I do try to stick to my overall schedule (meaning, I always do language arts in the morning, math after recess, and everything else after lunch) but if something needs to fit in right in the middle of my reading block (as intervention does twice a week) I can make the note simply, and easily.   Even on this picture, you can see that because of science lab, I needed to move math for the day.  The magnet/whiteboard combination makes that simple!

What is also nice about this is that since it is on my whiteboard, I can write the objectives for the day right there! Win-win for all.


And just in case you wanted to use some like these, I actually made some cuter ones for you.  Here they are.  Just click and it will take you to the google doc.  The clip art is from Scrappin' Doodles...which I LOVE! (I think I am going to have to have a clip art intervention soon....)

How have you handled your schedule display?

20 comments

  1. Being a teacher equals being able to be flexible! lol! Can be so difficult at times to fit in all that we need to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Lori! I learned very early on that flexibility is the KEY to success in the classroom.

      Delete
  2. Great idea to stay organized and on task! =)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I haven't posted, but you will know from your stats, I didn't waste any time before I read YOUR post (hours ago!). I love to read what you write! I replied to your (SWEET) comment on my blog, but I'll save you a trip...

    That is the NICEST thing I have heard all week. Sixth grade has been filled with less-than-kind comments this week. You just gave me a BIG dose of motivation and, well, JOY! Thanks, Stephanie!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. My massive whiteboard in my room is NOT magnetic. I had all of these amazing plans for cute schedules and........ nothing. For a while I was writing the schedule on the board with a dry erase marker every morning but I have fallen out of that habit. At first the kids were perplexed but now they don't seem to care!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use velcro on the edge of your marker board and you can do the same things. You will be able to "stick" the cards in any order you want and then write on the board as needed!

      Delete
  5. I love this idea! My 6th graders change classes-- I only see them for homeroom, math, science and DEAR time. For some reason, their schedule changes almost everyday of the week! This is the first year they are changing classes, so it is still, this far into the year, such a headache! I love this idea!! Now if only I could get at least one magnetic surface in my classroom....
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I'll have to try this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this a lot Steph! I've been using dry erase sheets next to a sign for each subject (like you have) on my bulletin, but I'm working on something new right now to evolve it a bit. I like the mobility of yours, very smart!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to have the same set up as you and honestly, this is the best thing ever. Since I can change the times, move things around...it just makes my planning for that day so much easier!

      Delete
  8. I do the same thing in my 1st/2nd grade classroom! Except I don't put times on the board, I used to. I have some unofficial "time keepers" in my room that were constantly reminding me that "time was up" and that didn't leave me any wiggle room. It started to bug me and bug them that it was 1:03 and we were still doing Read Aloud, so I erased the time. The next day, when my "time keeper" said, it's 1:00, time for Read Aloud to end, I just had to point to the board. I do love having the magnets because I can easily change it day to day or even hour to hour if I need too. Great idea and super cute freebie...I may update mine next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a similar schedule in my classroom. I have sentence strips with our daily tasks, and I just write in the times.

    Lisa

    Stories from Room 114

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you post this as a MS Word file so I could translate the signs into French for my 3rd grade French Immersion classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of clipart terms of use, I can't. I am so sorry.

      Delete
  11. Love them. My biggest fault as a teacher is keeping track of time. I can't do it. There are always those little teachable moments that are often so much more powerful to the development of citizens... not just students.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable signs! I'm going to us ethem in a pocket chart with my daily objectives/standards written on sentence strips. Thanks for sharing and creating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So we are loving learning more about your classroom activities and procedures. We teach a 5th grade Reading/ Writing/ Social Studies block for 90 minutes. We would love to see how you breakdown your literacy block of instruction with morphology, reading, and essay of the month:) Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what you think about what is posted :)