Wonder Wall of Precepts

So this post has been a long time coming.  If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you know that we read Wonder by RJ Palacio as a read aloud this year.  My students were captivated by it...especially the Julian chapter.

In the book, a major storyline revolves around the precepts that Mr. Browne, a teacher, teaches the students each month. These are short quotes that become sort of "rules to live by".  At the end of the story, Mr. Browne asks each of the students to write their very own precept and send it to him on a postcard.  So that is what we did.

I first had each student create their own "Wonder picture".  You see, each of the chapters are broken up with a picture of the child telling the story.  The picture is drawn with very little facial features and only using black ink.  So that is what we did.  Here is mine I used as an example with the kids.

Then, I asked them to choose a precept that related to their own life.  This could be a famous saying (like the one on my Wonder picture) or something that they made up on their own.  Underneath their picture, I had them write their name and the precept.

Finally, I asked them to write a postcard in friendly letter style to Mr. Browne explaining their precept.  Since they were supposed to be on summer vacation, I had them take on that persona.  A kid, formerly in Mr. Browne's class, explaining the precept on vacation.  They then used the address in the book to complete the postcard.
 

The kids really had a great time doing this. They connected so deeply with the book, that making their own "chapter" was fun for them.  They loved trying to make their Wonder picture resemble themselves but still keep it within the style of the book.  And writing the precept really brought it all together (and added a more academic element as well).

9 comments

  1. This gave me goosebumps. I know a real life Auggie (he even speaks for the Choose Kind organization that emerged from the book). It's wonderful to see children fall in love with the book and message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biggest positive I've found for being moved from second grade to fourth grade next year is that I cannot wait to read Wonder to my students and to incorporate activities into the unit. This is one of the best books I have read in recent years. My son and I read it together when he was in second grade and it touched me so deeply. I taught special education for 8 years and I had many "Auggies" over the years. This is a wonderful culminating activity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are reading Wonder right now and my students love it! They beg to read more each day and really have connected with the story. We did this same project and have it in our hallway and many students have commented that it makes them want to read the book as well. My students told me they love that the book is told from so many points of view and how it all connects. It is a great story and one that I am so glad my team has joined me in reading this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome!! Love Love Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures the students made (and yours ... maybe a new bio pic for your blog??). ;) We've written our own precepts, but I love how you took it further. I can't wait to do this with my students next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE this! I'm getting ready to teach Wonder w/ my students and can't wait! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    Lit with Lyns

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome idea! I wonder what your art lesson looked like?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! We are just finishing this as a read aloud as well. I will be using this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just finished reading Wonder before Christmas and I am planning to use this assignment to kick off the New Year! I think that it is a great way to continue to spread kindness and positivity. I was just curious, did you have a rubric or evaluation scheme to accompany this assignment? Would love to know how you assessed this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what you think about what is posted :)